Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My first week in Singapore...

Things have been really busy this week!  I started work on Monday (apparently they don't celebrate labor day here ;)) and met my new team - they all seem really great.  They took me out to dinner on Monday, and we had Chili Crab, a local favorite.  It tasted delicious,  but for some reason I am still on Portland time, and I was so exhausted I could barely socialize with them (they probably thing I am the weird girl that sits in the corner and doesn't talk haha.)  After we ate I went right home and crashed (it was about 9:00pm which was actually pretty late for me considering I had been going to bed at 6:30-7:00 all the other nights.)  

Chili Crab - a local cuisine 

Things I have learned this week:
1. People here use the word "dodgy" ALL the time to describe weirdos
2. The MRT (subway) is not scary and actually very easy and convenient
3. Rent here is very expensive and you have to find a realtor to help you and pay them a commission (haven't these people heard of craigslist, come on!)
4. Everyone here speaks like 4 languages, and sometimes they throw in words from other languages while speaking English and it is really confusing
5. McDonalds delivers (super weird!)
6. I get Friday off of work because it is a holiday here - makes up for missing labor day (Sweet!)

1 comment:

  1. Man, if McDonald's delivered here, it would be all over for me! Miss you tons!!

    ReplyDelete